Saturday, January 19, 2008

Thing #8

Okay, I finished reading all of the information on RSS feeds and set up my own Google Reader. I even linked my Reader to my iGoogle page. It is easy to get lost reading all of the news and fun stuff that I subscribed to as well as the library related blogs that I added as part of the assignment.
Sometimes it feels like I am swimming upstream and just can't seem to keep up with the ever changing world of technology around me. As a high school librarian I understand the necessity of these tools but feel that I am just playing catch up. I can see myself saving time reading all of the information I normally take time looking up all in one place. Students probably already use technology and would adapt to using it at school quickly. What a great way to link teacher blogs all to one page.

2 comments:

VWB said...

I love my reader for that one thing...having everything I want to read in one place..so much easier.

You may be worried about what you don't know, but you are doing what it takes to try and catch up ...and that is a good thing!

and I only say "try to catch up" because every day there is more!! no one knows it all anymore!

Grendel said...

Aren't you wonderful for tackling this on your own initiative! I must admit that I had a friendly nudge or two, but I am really enjoying the experience, finding it a non-threatening way to learn and taking solace in the company of friendly, like-minded folk! You asked about Anime Club. Our clubmembers are very individualistic, brainy and creative! It is like having 8 - 10 separate clubs with one member apiece! :) Our president conducted a field trip to the museum to see an anime exhibit last fall. Other than that, we have watched and discussed various programs. At TLA, ADV Films signed me up for their Advocate program, and for awhile we received preview DVDs from them. Suddenly, we stopped receiving them and telephone calls and messages don't seem to have restarted the free previews! :(
We hope to have a voice over actor visit our club and talk to us soon. One of our members wants to do voice overs for anime; another constantly draws the figures. They all know more than I! I just saw Fruits Basket for the first time! Please let me know what you are doing!