Saturday, February 16, 2008

Thing # 15

So much to think about. The video was especially compelling though I am not quite sure how I feel about it. As a parent of a college senior I would hope she is not off task on MySpace while her professor is lecturing. I agree with the outrageous cost of textbooks but have no sympathy for students not reading them or skipping class. Should our teaching methods change to reflect new ideas and technology? Yes, although I feel some students are not motivated enough to learn and explore on their own. Reading blogs and collaboration in cyberspace is one thing, learning microbiology or calculus is another. Okay, I guess I'm a little old fashioned.

As far as libraries are concerned, I love where the next generation is taking us. As a high school librarian I have seen the shift from books to web based searching. It is impossible to teach 2500 students to properly sift through what is reliable information and what is not though there are days that I give it my best shot and I have the tired feet to show for it. Putting our OPAC online and directing students to the best possible databases accessible from any classroom and from home have worked well with our students. I have already contacted teachers about conducting inservices on del.icio.us and other social networking sites.

I have never been big on keeping stuff "just in case", not in my personal or professional life. With school budgets getting tighter and tighter I have made a major shift in my book buying. No longer do I purchase expensive reference books that I know students will not use, the bulk of my money goes towards fiction and high interest non-fiction which my students love. This has kept our circulation statistics high and our students are happy. They know they can find resources online either on their own or with my help.

No comments: