Monday, July 13, 2009

11.5 Thing # 7

Video is such a huge part of our everyday experience and can be used so effectively in the classroom. Hulu, which I had visited many times before, is a great site. I must admit that I tended to go to Hulu when I needed to catch up on a missed episode of House or one of my other favorite shows. Can't wait to tell the teachers about all of the other videos located in this great site. Found videos of President Obama's weekly address, how great is that? Government teachers would love to have that for their students. Joyce Valenza as always has a great list of video resources, they are now tagged in my del.icio.us account. Had never heard of Blinkx, found a site just for teens with gossip video clips and other videos of interest to teens.
Our teachers will love the PBS site as well as some of the National Geographic videos. Often our school budget does not allow us to spend as much as we would like on videos, this is a great way for our teachers to use current videos or clips from news and documentaries that cover material being discussed in class. Great way to keep the students attention.

The first video I chose is a movie trailer for a movie that I am anxiously awaiting. Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak was a favorite of my daughters, my husband and I would read it over and over to them. A few years ago my husband surprised me with a set of all of the characters from the book. I want to display the figures in the library before the movie is released. The second video is from Google Video and is on Hurricane Katrina . Our social studies teachers are always looking for short clips to share with their students while lecturing as a way to make history more real to the students. Considering we live on the coast, this video is extremely relevant.







No comments: